Our Culture & Current Roles
We believe the best way to make change is to live it.
That’s why the same core values guide our vision, our approach, and our culture.
Through BeWE Learning Journeys, you(th) around the world further develop their powerful capacities for magic like empathy, global understanding, creativity, and collaboration. Our team strives to live these same values every day.
Key word: strive. We’re sooo far from perfect, and living out these things in thought, word, and action consistently is super hard.
Asking for help early enough. Moving away from our need to “figure it out solo”, and instead trusting in those around us to support. Prioritizing gathering perspectives and feedback while still creating in a way that doesn’t slow us down short or long term. Not focusing as much (or really, at all?) on who gets credit or who is recognized for what, and always remembering this mission is about — and requires — WE.
Deep, true collaboration. We crave this not simply as “process”, but in a natural, almost second nature way. We have learned, seen, and now trust the magic of this WE over the past 5+ years of building. We need more WE.
Our team believes learning and reflection about all of these things need never slow down. We want to work with people who wonder, explore, love learning, seek out meaningful feedback like a vacuum cleaner, and seek growth at every opportunity.
You join our team not to know, but to learn. Not to build your personal resume and seek credit, but to create this collective impact as WE. To surround yourself with people striving to be even more hungry and even more humble as we grow.
Current Key Roles
Operations & Culture
We’re looking for experience with and passion for leading, supporting, and growing a team from 3-5 full time to 25+, and a relentless eagerness to sell BeWE curriculum to thousands of schools through creative partnerships and strategies. Definitely read this (“scaling partner”) and this. Think of this role as an “all in” “make things happen” generalist kind of role at first, with growing focus as we go.
You’re ready to bring BeWE curriculum to thousands of schools. You love selling things you care for. We’re looking for experience and passion for building a sales and marketing strategy from the ground up, executing on ambitious targets to take customer bases and active user counts into the thousands.
Content Writing Volunteer
We’re looking for a human to join us who:
- Loves researching and writing about meaningful education and storytelling
- Knows a bit about SEO and eager to learn more
- Cares about style and tone and all the details, too
- Is eager to write blog content that inspires, informs, and moves people to action
- Wants to write “How-to” pieces for our teachers, research backed articles/posts, organizational blog posts/updates, great captions for social posts, and bring all kinds of new ideas to the table, too
We’re a small, committed team and we’re focused on growing our school partnerships organically and strategically, while building the systems for significant scale.
Compensation at this stage is to support our basic cost of living right now, as we grow our partnerships and revenue. We’re new to charging schools, and this is a critical phase.
Ideally, you are ready to jump on board with us now and hustle (healthily) alongside us. We’ll work together to grow our capacity (read), and as we grow our school, district, and foundation partnerships, we’ll be able to grow our comp too. We also understand this isn’t possible for everyone.
Over the years, we will also be bringing together humans to focus on impact assessment, data storytelling, product design, graphic design, curriculum innovation, UI/UX, customer experience, curriculum writing, 2d/3d animation, and various growth/sales functions. We always welcome mission-aligned humans to connect, regardless of whether there’s a mutual fit today. This is a WE thing.
Step One: Submit Video or Written App
For all roles, we ask that we kick things off with a little video or written hello. You can record the video on your phone, if that’s easier for you.
If you choose the video:
Email [email protected] (and cc [email protected]) with your CV and a video that is no more than 3:30 minutes long of you digging into the questions below. Please share an unlisted link for Youtube/Vimeo or Google Drive and make sure the above email IDs have access.
Why a video? We’ve found it teaches us a lot about you beyond the written word. Here are some notes from what we’ve learned makes a solid conversation starter:
- Be yourself. Don’t hold back.
- If your eyes lit up when you engaged with some aspect of the curriculum, say so — and share why.
- Be passionate about what you’re actually passionate about.
- Just talk. No fancy editing needed. Even if you’re applying to do video work with us (then just share your most similar work to what we create).
- Don’t let this become time consuming. Record authentically. Don’t rehearse 8 times.
- Keep the video under 3:30 minutes, please. Under 3 is ideal.
- What you say and how you say it both are important. We think about both. After all, we make videos without words. We think a lot beyond the words these days.
Questions For The Video
PICK 3 QUESTIONS FROM THE 4 BELOW!
1. Create your own question. And then answer it!
2. Have you ever been part of an organization in such a critical stage? What experiences from your life show you that this is an environment in which you can thrive based on what you’ve read about our stage and culture? (Read this for more context if it helps.)
3. What differentiates Better World Ed from other organizations and companies in our landscape? Tell us about the landscape and why this stands out.
4. Why is the role you’re applying for different from the roles you’ve played until now in your life?
Questions For The Written Application
We’ll have some emails and/or a call if we see a potential fit at this stage in the journey.
If that call feels great to you and to our team, we’ll have you speak with more people on the team or an advisor.
It will likely help you and our team to engage in some kind of mini-project or exercise that helps get a sense of what it’s like to work together. In one case, for example, a candidate created I Am Mac as his final interview. He now creates videos with us! His name is Wayne. He is wonderful.
We will do our best to respond to all outreach, though we are a small, stretched team. Please don’t hesitate to follow up in a few weeks if you don’t hear from us!
We appreciate kind follow ups and reminders (especially as we are often sending them out, too, so we get it)! Thank you for your understanding, your passion, and your patience with us as we grow this movement together!
And if timing isn’t feeling right to apply, you can also sign up to stay posted on opportunities and join our Better World Talent Pool!
Freelance & Volunteer Opportunities
We work with filmmakers, storytellers, and educators from all over the world to create the best material for our unique Learning Journeys. A Learning Journey features one human, and classrooms explore the person’s life and community through 1 wordless video, 3-4 written stories, and 3-4 accompanying lesson plans.
If you create captivating videos and/or written narratives — and you’re a person or team excited to contribute to this movement in an all-in, part-time, freelance, or pro-bono way — read on.
- You’re aligned to the BeWE vision, approach, culture (which you can read all about on this site and on betterworlded.org).
- If you’re not already using your videos to do so, you’d like to educate and inspire a wider audience, especially young people, and to see more classrooms engaging in social change conversations.
- You’d like to learn with us as we create BeWE curriculum together, and you’re pretty damn humble if you do say so yourself.
- You’re interested in one or more of the following:
- Sharing and repurposing work you’ve already created
- Creating new video content for & with BeWE
- Starting a collaboration between BeWE and your team/organization to produce video content on a regular basis
- Recruiting funding and new patrons to support the creation of more stories that you’ll go out and create
Volunteer / Project Based / Part-Time:
You provide the video content (and stories/lesson plans if you are able and excited), we write the corresponding written content to fit math and literacy requirements, and Better World Ed distributes these learning journeys to global classrooms.
Full Time / “All-In”:
You’re entrepreneurial, and you’re in for an adventure. There’s a lot we’re making happen beyond these learning journeys as we grow. Visual lesson plans, behind the scenes stories, mashups from various stories we’ve done, and other fun bonus content for our educators and community.
Writers & Educators
- You’re aligned to the BeWE vision, approach, culture.
- You’d like to educate and inspire a wider audience, especially young people, and to see more classrooms engaging in social change conversations.
- You’d like to learn with us as we create BeWE curriculum together. This isn’t just another short stint to you.
There are a few ways this can go. You can create lesson plans that connect to various topics/stories we have already created. You can create lesson plans for stories and videos that are currently in the works. You can create stories and lesson plans that connect to videos we’ve created that have solid interviews and notes compiled.
You can even go out solo or in a team and create the whole Learning Journey, including the video, alongside friends or peers or your students. Let’s connect about which of these paths is most exciting.
All Kinds Of Details!
We’re at an inflection point. Joining us now means joining a small, core team.
A few folks full time, and a crew of volunteers and advisors who are amazingly supportive. These people together are the reason our impact and reach is growing.
Beyond your specific ambitious roles and responsibilities, you’ll be co-creating and implementing the systems, processes, and culture to bring BeWE to every classroom on earth. A ridiculously hungry and humble culture is the skeleton key to unlock this vision.
At present, we’re bringing together humans who are ready to do what it takes to make this mission reality. Entrepreneurial, hungry and humble people who are in this for the long haul. This is not a great resume builder situation. This is one of those “in it to see this through” things you think will overflow your heart and soul cup day in and day out.
For Content Creators
Since 2015, we’ve created and curated incredible stories from India, Indonesia, Laos, Thailand, Colombia, Ecuador, USA, Thailand, Congo, Guatemala, and Kenya. Today, we’re focused on collaborating with organizations in new regions.
This will be hard. You’ll be leading things you wish you had more support for and you’ll be championing huge projects often without a clear answer of “whether you’re doing it right”.
Where? Apartment-offices, organization partners’ offices, parks, apartments, rooftops, buses, trains, planes, automobiles, and wherever else we have wifi, snacks, and fun.
The team we’re building won’t prioritize credit or a beautiful portfolio or global recognition or expert status. We simply want this curriculum in the hands of every kid (and human) around the world. (This could be a great read to get a sense of what we mean.)
To achieve that vision, we need collaboration. We need community. We need humility. We can’t let scarcity mindset limit our sense of possibility. We don’t know if we’ll need 300 or 500 people on payroll to see this movement happen. In a few years, we’d rather have a core team of 25 or 60 building creative partnerships with existing infrastructures/organizations to meet the demands of curriculum reaching classrooms around the world… alongside amazing freelancers and volunteers around the world.
We’re here to be the fuel for the movement, not yet another vehicle competing for space. We’re building a foundation of great content for all orgs and all schools, and we won’t stop until every existing organization and network is able to leverage BeWE to lead change in the world. We’re on a mission to build a self-sustaining system/cycle of content creation, educator engagement, and deep lasting change.
Four Practices that Matter
Seeking to understand before being understood
Collective focus on vision
Learning quickly & effectively
Exploring connections between people, places & things
Believing in youth and teachers in every corner of the world
Growing through obstacles
Using constraints as inspiration
Reading, writing, expressing, and reflecting
Making the most wildly engaging content kids & teachers possible
Evolving cultural understanding
Disciplined awareness & accountability
Prioritizing vision over ego as we build our brand and scale
- Deep desire for collaboration across skillsets, roles, and perspectives
- founding team mindset
- experience working and living in multiple countries is ideal
- proven builder
- 3-5 years as gyshido
- proven quick adapter
- proven learning agility
- passionate persistence
- humble hunger for learning
- bonus: desire to teach one of our team members salsa no matter how hard it is
- proven ability to encourage calm and laughter in the midst of chaos is ideal
Things we strive for
Join a room full of people hungry to learn and grow. Here are things we’re working on / would like to make happen as we grow (that we are absolutely not doing consistently now):
Engage with 6-12 relevant books and tons of articles each year alongside the team. We’re still figuring out how to be consistent on the group book reading thing. Help!
- Be part of discussions, conversations, and reflection sessions with team members and key players in the BWE network. Focus on integrating what we’re learning with the curricular content we’re building.
- Build the curriculum you dream of for your/our world’s children — and help ensure they will have access to it, no matter what school environment they enter.
- Engage with BeWE content as a core team in weekly meetings, culture building, etc.
And as we grow, we’ll be introducing all kinds of new learning and growth layers. Examples:
- Guest speakers about various social change topics in our curriculum
- Guest speakers from classrooms
- Group and personal mentor matching
- Coaching sessions and courses in specific things like impact investing (when our team makes enough to invest)
- Unlimited books (if you actually read them)
More Culture Reading (links)
We strive to live out:
intrinsic motivation -> discipline -> autonomy -> trust -> fulfillment
transparency and vulnerability in day to day
and some books that are magical!