Team & Culture
We believe the best way to make change is to live it.
That’s why the same core values guide our vision, our culture, and our approach. Vision = Culture = Approach.
Through BeWE Learning Journeys, you(th) around the world further develop their powerful capacities for magic like empathy, global understanding, creativity, and collaboration. Our team strives to live these same values every day.
Key word: strives. We’re sooo far from perfect, and living out these things in thought, word, and action consistently is super hard. We strive to learn from our past, and we strive to grow as we go forward.
Heartstorming, not only brainstorming.
Asking for help early enough. Moving away from our need to “figure it out solo”, and instead trusting in those around us to support. Prioritizing gathering perspectives and feedback while still creating in a way that doesn’t slow us down short or long term.
Not focusing as much (or really, at all?) on who gets credit or who is recognized for what, and always remembering this mission is about — and requires — WE.
Deep, true collaboration. We crave this not simply as “process”, but in a natural, almost second nature way. We have learned, seen, and now trust the magic of this WE over the past 5+ years of building. We need more WE in our world.
We believe learning and reflecting on all of the above doesn’t have to slow down. We want to work with people who wonder, explore, love learning, seek out meaningful feedback like a vacuum cleaner, and seek growth at every opportunity.
Join us not to know, but to learn. Not to build your personal resume and seek credit, but to create this collective impact as WE. To surround yourself with people striving to be even more hungry and even more humble as we grow. Striving to move beyond assessments and rote learning and into really practicing this stuff day in and day out.
If the above all sounds kinda perfect, great. Keep reading. We share more details below on roles (part time and freelance), notes on our current situation as an organization, and all the many ways you can get involved.
Let’s find the magic within all of us together.
Current Better World Ed Roles
Sales & Engagement
Growth & Operations
We’re looking for experience with and passion for leading, supporting, and growing a team from 3-5 full time to 25+, and a relentless eagerness to sell BeWE curriculum to thousands of schools through creative partnerships and strategies. Definitely read this (“scaling partner”) and this. Think of this role as an “all in” “make things happen” generalist kind of role at first, with growing focus as we go. (Full Job Description) (Apply Here)
Story & Lesson Plan Creation
- Love narrative writing and lesson plan creation
- Have a passion for ethnographic approach and beautiful writing
- Have experience engaging youth with awesome lessons and content
- Care about style and tone and all the details, too
- Are eager to write content that deepens classroom curiosity about self (and classroom community), others (humans featured in our stories), our world (our climate, environments, other species), and the interconnections between all of these
Content Writing & Engagement
- Love researching and writing about meaningful education and storytelling
- Care about style and tone and all the details, too
- Are eager to write blog content that inspires, informs, and moves people to action
- Want to write “How-to” pieces for our teachers, research backed articles/posts, organizational blog posts/updates, great captions for social posts (and photo/video selection, if interested), and bring all kinds of new ideas to the table, too
- Love digital marketing and engaging on all of our social channels
- Bonus: you know about SEO and/or AdWords (we have an AdGrant we’d love to maximize the impact of)
We are on a tight budget, and are only able to consider part time and freelance collaborations at present. All roles have the potential to evolve into full time roles if we find a mutual fit and when capacity allows in the future.
If you are in a place to jump on board in this kind of phase:
Apply below! We’ll work together to grow our capacity (read), and as we grow our school, district, and foundation partnerships, we’ll be able to grow our compensation too. We understand entering this kind of uncertainty isn’t possible for everyone in their current life stage, and we are working hard towards the day we have the capacity to move beyond this current financial reality.
If you’re not in a life place to jump on board in this stage:
Say hi below and stay tuned as we grow! Over the years, we will also be bringing together humans to focus on impact assessment, data storytelling, product design, graphic design, curriculum innovation, UI/UX, customer experience, curriculum writing, 2d/3d animation, and various growth/sales functions. We welcome mission-aligned humans to connect, regardless of whether there’s a mutual fit today. This mission is going to take all of us.
Step One: Submit Video or Written App
For all roles, we ask that we kick things off with a little video or written hello. You can record the video on your phone, if that’s easier for you. For either application, please make sure you have read these notes first. For sales related roles, you can also reach out through our sales-focused application.
If you choose the video:
Email [email protected] (and cc [email protected]) with your CV and a video that is no more than 3:30 minutes long of you digging into the questions below. Please share an unlisted link for Youtube/Vimeo or Google Drive and make sure the above email IDs have access.
Why a video? We’ve found it teaches us a lot about you beyond the written word. Here are some notes from what we’ve learned makes a solid conversation starter:
- Be yourself. Don’t hold back.
- If your eyes lit up when you engaged with some aspect of the curriculum, say so — and share why.
- Be passionate about what you’re actually passionate about.
- Just talk. No fancy editing needed. Even if you’re applying to do video work with us (then just share your most similar work to what we create).
- Don’t let this become time consuming. Record authentically. Don’t rehearse 8 times.
- Keep the video under 3:30 minutes, please. Under 3 is ideal.
- What you say and how you say it both are important. We think about both. After all, we make videos without words. We think a lot beyond the words these days.
Questions For The Video (Pick 3-4)
1. How will you bring this curriculum to schools and districts in an effective way, virtually? Talk us through your strategy.
2. What differentiates Better World Ed from other organizations and companies in our landscape? Tell us about the landscape and why this stands out. Pretend we’re an administrator from a district asking what makes this work unique.
3. What do you want to do in a different way in the next role you take on?
4. Imagine you begin volunteering or freelancing with Better World Ed today. What do you do first? Walk us through your first few weeks.
Questions For The Written Application
We will do our best to respond to all outreach, though we are a small, stretched team. Please don’t hesitate to follow up in a few weeks if you don’t hear from us!
We appreciate kind follow ups and reminders (especially as we are often sending them out, too, so we get it)! Thank you for your understanding, your passion, and your patience with us as we grow this movement together!
And if timing isn’t feeling right to apply, you can also sign up to stay posted on opportunities and join our Better World Talent Pool!
We work with filmmakers, storytellers, and educators to create the best material for our unique Learning Journeys. A Learning Journey features one human, and classrooms explore the person’s life and community through 1 wordless video, 3-4 written stories, and 3-4 accompanying lesson plans.
If you create captivating videos and/or written narratives — and you’re a person or team excited to contribute to this movement in an all-in, part-time or freelance way — read on.
- You’re aligned to the BeWE vision, approach, culture (which you can read all about on this site and on betterworlded.org).
- If you’re not already using your videos to do so, you’d like to educate and inspire a wider audience, especially young people, and to see more classrooms engaging in social change conversations.
- You’d like to learn with us as we create BeWE curriculum together, and you’re pretty damn humble if you do say so yourself.
- You’re interested in one or more of the following:
- Sharing and repurposing work you’ve already created
- Creating new video content for & with BeWE
- Starting a collaboration between BeWE and your team/organization to produce video content on a regular basis
- Recruiting funding and new patrons to support the creation of more stories that you’ll go out and create
Project Based / Part-Time:
You provide the video content (and stories/lesson plans if you are able and excited), we write the corresponding written content to fit math and literacy requirements, and Better World Ed distributes these learning journeys to global classrooms.
Full Time / “All-In”:
You’re entrepreneurial, and you’re in for an adventure. There’s a lot we’re making happen beyond these learning journeys as we grow. Visual lesson plans, behind the scenes stories, mashups from various stories we’ve done, and other fun bonus content for our educators and community.
Writers & Educators
- You’re aligned to the BeWE vision, approach, culture.
- You’d like to educate and inspire a wider audience, especially young people, and to see more classrooms engaging in social change conversations.
- You’d like to learn with us as we create BeWE curriculum together. This isn’t just another short stint to you.
There are a few ways this can go. You can create lesson plans that connect to various topics/stories we have already created. You can create lesson plans for stories and videos that are currently in the works. You can create stories and lesson plans that connect to videos we’ve created that have solid interviews and notes compiled.
You can even go out solo or in a team and create the whole Learning Journey, including the video, alongside friends or peers or your students. Let’s connect about which of these paths is most exciting.
All Kinds Of Other Fun Details!
Beyond your specific ambitious roles and responsibilities, you’ll be co-creating and implementing the systems, processes, and culture to bring BeWE to every classroom on earth. A ridiculously hungry and humble culture is the skeleton key to unlock this vision (see culture code created in 2016).
At present, we’re bringing together humans who are ready to do what it takes to make this mission reality. Entrepreneurial, hungry and humble people who are in this for the long haul. This is not a great resume builder situation.
This is one of those “in it to see this through” things you think will overflow your heart and soul cup day in and day out.
"Be WE" Mindset
The team we’re building won’t prioritize credit or a beautiful portfolio or global recognition or expert status. We simply want this curriculum in the hands of every kid (and human) around the world. (This could be a great read to get a sense of what we mean.)
To achieve that vision, we need collaboration. We need community. We need humility. We can’t let scarcity mindset limit our sense of possibility. We don’t know if we’ll need 300 or 500 people on payroll to see this movement happen. In a few years, we’d rather have a core team of 25 or 60 building creative partnerships with existing infrastructures/organizations to meet the demands of curriculum reaching classrooms around the world… alongside amazing freelancers and volunteers around the world.
We’re here to be the fuel for the movement, not yet another vehicle competing for space. We’re building a foundation of great content for all orgs and all schools, and we won’t stop until every existing organization and network is able to leverage BeWE to lead change in the world. We’re on a mission to build a self-sustaining system/cycle of content creation, educator engagement, and deep lasting change.
More Culture Reading (links)
We strive to live out:
intrinsic motivation -> autonomy -> trust -> magic
transparency and vulnerability in day to day
and some books that are magical!